Thursday, March 11, 2010

How do you choose paint colors for your home?

Are you talking about interior or exterior?





We recently painted several rooms in our house. I went to the library and got decorating and painting books so that I could see how they used colors and made note of what I did or didn't like. Also did this with some magazines.





I kept an eye out while watching TV shows...looked at what colors they painted their rooms and I began to see what kind of ';feel'; I liked.





Then I learned about ';warm'; and ';cool'; colors - do you want your place to feel ';warm'; and cozy? Or ';cool'; and crisp? warm colors: browns, reds, yellows, tans, oranges etc. Cool colors: blues, greens, purples





I decided that I wanted warm colors, and I picked a nice camel color, dark red (with orange/brown undertones, not pink undertones), and dark brown. I think to make the house look more unified and ';together'; they suggest using either mostly warm colors, or mostly cool colors (not both)





I went to the paint store and got a million swatches - pretty much all the warm colors, and I also got some cool colors just to see how they'd look. I taped them on the walls I was going to paint. You definitely need to take them home to see how they look in your room, usually they will look completely different than in the store. I eliminated a bunch of them until I was down to one or two. Then I got some paint of those colors (they have small cans you can buy) and painted part of the wall. After it dried, I decided if I liked it or not.





I painted the wall with our fireplace on it the red. Now I don't like it so much, but everyone else does. Then I painted one wall in the kitchen dark brown. Everything else I painted camel because it's the most ';neutral';.





google ';warm and cool colors'; to learn more about that. I didn't realize how important it was until I started learning about it.





Or you could hire a designer to come in and advise you. Most will come on a one time basis and charge anywhere from $75 to $200 to help you choose colors.





Oh, and paint colors should be the LAST thing you pick when decorating. It is a lot easier to find pretty much any color of paint to go with your furniture, pillows, wall decor, than it is to find furniture specifically to match your paint.





Again, choose a warm color theme or a cool color theme for your furniture/pillows/etc. and go from there.





Good luck!How do you choose paint colors for your home?
As others have suggested, I always use the main piece of furniture in a room as the starting point. For example, my sofa is sort of a sage green colour with tan piping on the cushions, so I used the piping as the basis for choosing a wall colour. Likewise in the bedroom, I chose a colour out of the pattern on my duvet - not the most prominent colour, but one of the ';supporting'; colours. In both cases you can then add accents of other colours in smaller pieces of furniture, cushions, accessories etc.





Bathrooms are a little different as the fixtures tend to be all white or off-white most of the time. For bathrooms I tend to like cool colours such as blues and greens, and then use towels and the shower curtain to introduce little splashes of fun colour, pattern and texture.





When choosing colours I think it's also important to consdier all of the different light conditions that a room might experience through the course of a day. While a paint colour may look essentially tan or beige in some light, other light conditions could make it look more yellow or green, so it's a really good idea to look at your colour samples in various types of light for a few days before deciding.How do you choose paint colors for your home?
I would begin with colors that you prefer--if you'll look around at your belongings, you'll find that you've probably started out picking those out already. I like a colorful, but tasteful home. What you want to do is make your rooms flow from one to the other (called transitioning). To do this, paint your living room, for example, khaki with red and green touches (in the accessories). In an adjoining room, paint it, for example, red with green and khaki accessories. In another room, paint it green with red and khaki accessories. Keep in mind that you don't have to use the EXACT same reds, khakis, and greens in each room.





If you want to mix patterns, choose a large print for one pillow and a small check for another (in similar color pallettes).





Have fun with it!





HTH
I choose paint colors by looking at the furniture color in that certain room. Say you were painting a living room, you would look at the color of your couches/chairs. You would want at least one color in that couch to match the wall. In my living room i have two colors. Every wall but one is tan. The one is blue. If you were painting a bedroom, look at the colors of the comforter on your bed. Hope i helped!
well usually people paint squares on the wall to choose which one they want.....





bright colors in little rooms are not the greatest ideas.. I once had a very bright orange in a little bathroom with florecent lights... it was horrible.... you couldn't focus on anything in the house but that room because it was so bright, so eventually my family an i painted it a neutral color, brown.................





figure out which color you would like to do in the room....


different colors set different tones an create different moods...


if you were ever in an art class, the color wheel will be loads of help for you.


so, what i would do, is figure out what color's ur interested in doing.


then i would paint squares on every wall, an different areas for that room..... you can then decide which color fits best in that room....

No comments:

Post a Comment