Sunday, March 7, 2010

Help with picking carpet and paint colors to match sofa!?

I just bought a beige colored leather sofa and chairs. I have a small, fairly dark family room that now has light gray carpet. It is 18 years old and stained, so it is being replaced. The rest of my house also has this color carpet.


I need a carpet color that is neutral, that will coordinate with the light gray in the remaining rooms. I also need a color that is good with stains. I have 2 dogs, 2 cats and a 16 year old son. So, a light color is not an option. But I don't want too dark, due to the lack of light in the room.


Right now I am looking at beige carpets with slight color flecks in them. Is this the best color choice for beige sofa, staying with a neutral color?


My other BIG question if I do go with a beige toned carpet....what color do I do the walls? I feel I need SOME sort of color or at least contrast. My husband is a ';white walls'; kinda guy, so nothing too dramatic.


ANY and ALL answers would be appreciated!Help with picking carpet and paint colors to match sofa!?
Don't go with beige carpet, too much with the beige furniture. I would go with a deep marroon carpet, and light beige or light tan walls. Then for windows I would buy beige and marroon striped curtains. Just my taste. I think that would look great.Help with picking carpet and paint colors to match sofa!?
I would suggest a carpet that is multi-coloured but has tan in it in order to match your sofa. If your carpet is not just one flat colour, it'll also hide dirty paw prints from critters and teenager alike. For the wall colour... hmmm... at least something light because your room is small and fairly dark. If you could pull a colour out of the carpet multi-colouring, it'll make the room all fit together that much more nicely. I'm not sure what colours you like, but if I were you, I would paint a nice wine colour or earthy green colour because the furniture is a light colour. Hope my opinion helps! Good luck, I'm sure it'll turn out great!
Quite honestly, I would go with the beige....with the flecks of different color.





Colored carpeting is just hideous to me. (Sorry Kimberly....I like neutral flooring.)





Play around with wall color....that is something that can be easily and cheaply changed if you don't like-- my sister and her family just remodeled the family room in their basement. They installed Frazais (sp?) carpeting and painted the walls a deep orange. A brown leather sectional has been ordered.
I suggest looking for a medium Taupe ( pronounced Tope).


It's a nice combination of grey and warm tones. It should complement your existing grey while bringing warmth to your room.


The type of carpet that wear the best is called Frieze ( short shag) the fiber are tightly twisted and heat set. Conventionally, Nylon it the best fiber. Either Stainmaster or WearDated brand, both have the stain resistance built into the fiber.


Another very good fiber is called Sorona by Dupont; commonly called Smart Strand by Mohawk. This carpet has the same texture retention (durability) as nylon, but this is warrantied for the lifetime of the carpet, not to stain from anything you can eat or drink.


Anything that has color flecks to it will help hide pet hair in between vacuumings. If you specific questions, feel free to email me.
One thing you might want to consider is to try to match the color of carpet you have now UNLESS you are going to switch out all the carpet in the house; addressing the stains is not a color issue it is a carpet type issue. Beige carpet is so boring and surprising hard to keep clean unless you get a stain resistant carpet. You can address the concerns for how dark the room is with both the paint color you choose and additional lighting (up lights - in corners, behind furniture :) making the wall color three shades lighter than the carpet will brighten the room considerably. You will then have a very basic pallet upon which to stage your furniture, pictures and accessories.
Beige carpeting will look fine with the beige couch, but you will mos def need to paint some color on the walls to give your room some character. And since your husband likes things rather light, would suggest a coral - like Glidden's ';coral flower'; - with some darker accents in the room, like cranberry throw pillows %26amp; lamp shades.

No comments:

Post a Comment