Thursday, March 4, 2010

What basic paint colors could I mix to get a flesh or tanned skin tone?

Im painting some figurines but I forgot to pick up a flesh colored paint. I was thinking of mixing my own paint based on the colors I have. What colors are recommendable for this?What basic paint colors could I mix to get a flesh or tanned skin tone?
A basic (caucasian) flesh tone starts with a lot of white. Add red to get a pinkish color and then yellow to warm it up a bit. A tiny bit of blue added to it to mute the colors gets you to where you want to be. If you want it to look more tanned I would recommend mixing a separate orangey-brown color and gradually adding it to your more basic skin tone until it looks how you like.





Watching someone do it is much better than I can describe here, search some youtube videos on the subject, there's lots of them there. Skin tones are the most complex and easy to ruin color to mix with paint, and it takes a lot of trial and error to get it down well enough to do it consistently, good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment