Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Building a new home and choosing paint colors. Should I go with traditional white trim, white ceiling....?

and the paint I've chosen for the walls. OR should I use the color I've chosen for walls and one shade lighter for ceiling and one shade lighter than that for all trim and doors? The color I've chosen is Sand Dune from Sherwin Williams. The rooms all have regular ceiling height and the only rooms open to each other are dining room and living room. Not sure how to define my style... traditional, old world, french country ???? But any advice would be great. Thanks!Building a new home and choosing paint colors. Should I go with traditional white trim, white ceiling....?
Ceilings:


If you put a color on the ceiling it will give the appearance the rooms are smaller. This is because when you walk into a room your peripheral vision will see the ceiling even when looking straight ahead, making the ceiling feel lower. I always found it best to go with a dead flat bright white ceiling paint after priming. It makes the rooms feel taller.


Trim:


I have a similar color to Sand Dune in a room in my house and I tried white at first but didn't like it. It seem to clash with the earthy taupe of the walls. I switched to a light, creamy off white and they compliment each other nicely.


As for the recommendation of using oil, I use to use it a lot. But since manufacturers had to take out the best parts due to new V.O.C. regulations, it does not level out as well, and is not nearly as durable as it use to be. I would go with a high quality 100% acrylic latex paint instead.Building a new home and choosing paint colors. Should I go with traditional white trim, white ceiling....?
Wow... I guess of the options, the sand dune actually has some color. I think you should go bolder and put in a vibrant color. be daring.
i have been a painter for 20yrs i would use a flat white on the ceiling to make your room brighter and bigger looking.for the trim you be the judge of the color but make sure you use a oil base paint it's real shiny and glossey will last forever and you can clean it every day and it won't dull.for the color, the white trim is hard to beat it's clean looking and you never get sick of the color.hope this helps.
white is grate, your room will look larger, stay light,always be warm
In the future you'll be painting over whatever color that you choose today.Save some paint for touch up.Use the new plastic paint containers.
recommend watching ';Get Color'; a show on hgtv.channel for neat ideas on color
I would look at home decorating books and look at the color combinations in them. If I saw something I liked I would try it. Sand dune is a good color, it will go with just about anything. It's your new home, I would suggest you pick out something that would accent the furniture. Pick out the furniture first, then choose colors that bring out your taste. The one thing about paint is your can always change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment